| Home > Advancement > Ockanickon Scout Reservation – Day 5
It’s Day 5 at Ockanickon Scout Reservation…the week is going by so fast that we’ll be home before we know it, and OSR will be nothing but a memory.
How about a little contest? Let’s see which parent can match the most scouts with the comments we’ve overheard this week. The winning mom gets to pack her son’s backpack next camping trip. Some things we heard at Camp this week:
- What time is it when it is a quarter to seven?
- I think I’m homesick again. (from a scout who has had a blast this week)
- I can’t remember nine things. (from a scout trying to remember the nine essential items to take on any outing)
- My butt’s on fire! (from a scout running to the latrine)
- Trustloyal. (from a scout repeating the Scout Law and mixing Trustworthy and Loyal into one word)
- Nothing has gone right at this camp so far! (from a scout on Saturday before camp even began)
- I can’t run! (from a scout seen running in camp)
- This trail isn’t so bad (from a scout on the way DOWN to the rifle range…doubt he said that on the way up)
- Mr. Vohs, what do I do with this knife? (from a scout who found a knife in the woods that had clearly been lost a long time ago)
- I don’t like snorkeling…you have to stay under water!
- Please pass the ______________ (fill in the blank for various food items during meals)
- Huh? What? (often)
- I did brush my teeth today!
- I showered in the pool.
- I love these Tic Tacs!
- We may be nerds, but we have standards.
- I’m going to bed, I need to see the inside of my eyelids.
- Mr. Vohs, they have Brony flavored slushies.
- I didn’t do any of my prerequisites.
- Did I get any mail today?
- First Base.
- Second Base.
- Third Base.
- Home Run.
- Mr. Pinder, they’re hazing me, they took my hammock, and I want them gone from the camp!
- Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do I see?
- I wanted to use my siesta for sleep, but I didn’t do anything all morning.
- Mr. Vohs wouldn’t stop nagging me.
- I can’t find my ______________ (fill in the blank)
- I lost my glasses, I don’t know where.
- I can’t find my bag? Is it the black one? Yes. It’s on your back. Oh!
- When told they were going to the pool, one scout asked “Do we need swimming trunks?”
- Are there wolves here?
- I’m sorry Mr. Vohs!
- You were right Mr. Vohs.
- Let me move closer so I can hear you.
- I learned how to build a taser!
- This bores me.
- Why can’t we go to Dorney Park? (asked during a violent lightening storm)
- They just goof off in class, so I don’t want to go back tomorrow.
- We can’t tell you the rules.
- I’ve gone to bathroom eight times today, what should I do?
- We’re swimming too much.
- How about fireworks?
- The mouse’s name is Javier.
- I think it’s chicken.
- I dug a hole.
- Look at our wall.
- Do I have to shoot the rifle?
- We made a turtle home and it is strong enough for two people.
- Do you have any toilet paper?
- I can’t sleep.
- I don’t eat vegetables! (Bonus points if you can name all the scouts who said this)
- Are you doing it?
Today was great. The Polar Bear Swim took a significant drop in participation. We went from 100% down to only 3 scouts because of the rumor started by a certain scout that the showers were broken so the pool was closed.
The scouts are finishing up their merit badges, playing Magic, and trying hard to avoid any service project. They did some more brainstorming planning today. The food was still good: Breakfast was cheese omelets with tater tots; Lunch was Sloppy Joes (is it ever a good idea to give a scout something called “Sloppy?”); and Dinner was a Thanksgiving Dinner that couldn’t be beat!
After dinner, they completed two merit badges, Textile and Fingerprinting. I sure hope the ink comes out of their clothing. It was volleyball night, Discover SCUBA, Air Band competition, and Mountain Boarding.
The staff had a huge party, so the scouts took advantage and stayed up late…I’m betting the Polar Bear Swim will be tough Friday morning.
Stay tuned, same Scout channel, same Scout time.